18 Sept 2009

Who should work in financial services?

An article in today's Wall Street Journal is a timely reminder to repeat the career advice we often give when asked the question: 'Should I pursue a career in financial services?' The key point we always make is that you should not choose your profession based only on the expected level of compensation. During the past ten years too many people were lured into City and Banking jobs based on the reports about extremely high salaries paid to some lucky professionals. But this exceptional period may not last forever and spending your working life doing a job that you are not really passionate about is a life of misery. When I started to work with a stockbroker I did it because the stock market was already one of my hobbies during High School and I would have worked in the Securities business even if salaries were just on a level with most other skilled professions.

No comments: